Saturday, July 09, 2011

Anonymity

There are very few people in my real life that know about my blog or if they do know that I blog they don't read it. I often ask myself why that is.

I think it is because this blog is a place to be very open and honest. In my every day I am a pretty private person and I don't really share my feelings or what I am going through.

I am afraid that if my "real" friends/family read this then they will see me differently or even treat me differently. They probably won't but in my head I will feel judged.

Right now I am facing they choice of whether to stay in anonymity or put my blog out there for all to read.

What is the right decision? I really don't know.

2 comments:

v said...

I would say that you are not alone in your quest for anonymity. I too feel as you do, sometimes. At other times I want a everyone to know I have a blog and for them to leave me lots and lots of comments. I guess this speaks to my need of affirmation. So, I guess one would have to say I am conflicted.

Now a question for you. Do you seek anonymity from your family or everyone in general? Not judging here, but since you are a member of the Blogher network, many of us are privileged to read your wonderful thoughts. If you're seeking an opinion on whether or not to let your friends and family know about your blog, I'd say tell them. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how much they'll enjoy reading your thoughts. I know I was.

Steph{anie} said...

I have debated the same thing. My blog is incredibly raw; some of the things I share, I wouldn't want coworkers, family, or friends reading. I changed blog locations because my mom started reading it and while she knew some of the things I was struggling with, she refused to come right out and talk with me about it. It was incredibly awkward. Because my blog is so sensitive, I keep the URL private now; however, I keep the blog public because I've met so many great people blogging.

Whatever decision you make, you need to be comfortable with it. For me personally, my decision is to keep my blog public but the URL private. I don't want people like coworkers and Facebook friends reading my "business."